Friday, May 21, 2010

There's no place like home

That goes for me and the Mets. After a quick vacation, I'm back in action. According to my dad, I didn't miss much during the week I spent in Mexico - one win and other than that, a lot of mediocrity. Seems to be a growing trend these days. But now the Mets are coming back to Citi Field after that horrific road trip and I'm hoping things will turn around.

Since I've been back, the Mets have split a two game series with the Nationals. Even in their win last night, I never really felt good about the game. Why is it that no lead feels safe with this team? You can't tell me you weren't freaking out when the Nationals were suddenly back in the game at 10-6 with the bases loaded and Adam Dunn at bat. Why does it feel like the Mets are constantly playing with house money?

Last night was a strange enough game right from the start. John Maine inexplicably left after facing just one batter. According to Ron Darling's update, Maine was not hurt but will see a doctor today (I have no idea what he's seeing the doctor for but I guess that's a different issue). Raul Valdes was fantastic in long relief, which was great because the bull pen had to cover nine innings. That's really unfortunate, because now I don't see how Valdes could possibly be available for any games this weekend and with Hisanori Takahashi getting the start tonight, where exactly is our long relief coming from? I guess Jerry will just have to piece the puzzle together as the situations come up.

Aside from the offensive explosion, (obviously much needed, since the Mets gave back most of their 10-1 lead) I think the thing that made me feel the best last night was seeing Jerry's reaction to John Maine needing to leave the game after throwing 5 pitches. I don't actually know what was wrong or what was said, but Jerry was visibly angry with the situation and seemed to let Maine know it in the dugout. That's the kind of thing I like to see. I'm not saying that managers should publicly rake their guys over the coals, but it's nice to know that there was some accountability for last night's failure. John Maine might be even more frustrating than Oliver Perez at this point. At least with Ollie, you know what you are getting: expensive mediocrity with flashes of brilliance.

The Mets and Yankees open a three game Subway Series at Citi Field tonight with Takahashi facing Javy Vazquez. As much as I despise inter-league play, I'm excited for this weekend. We'll either win and make everyone feel better or lose and turn up the heat on Jerry's hot seat. Seems like a win-win scenario to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment