Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Confusing turn of events

Bengie Molina signed a deal to return to the Giants yesterday. This confuses me for several reasons. 1. Molina's sticking point with New York was allegedly that he wanted a 3 year deal... but he signed with the Giants for only one. 2. Everyone wants more money... except Molina signed for less than the Mets were offering. 3. While I understand that not everyone wants to play in New York, or for the Mets (and frankly, after last year, who can blame them) WHY were the Mets so overly confident that they had this signing locked up? They were talking about Molina as if he was a sure thing as far back as the winter meetings. Congratulations, management - you guys look like idiots again. Seems to be a trend.

Don't get me wrong - I'm actually fine with this development. While I think Molina could have helped, especially with a young pitching staff, this is not the end of the world since we've signed 183 catchers this off season. I really don't see a reason why Omir Santos and Henry Blanco can't effectively platoon the starting catcher spot. And we always have Chris Coste just in case. I was never concerned with this position, and I'm still not entirely sure why management has been obsessing over it. Oh well. Time to move on to bigger and better things.

No comments:

Post a Comment