Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mex mentors Murphy

I meant to write about this sooner, but the snow has been distracting me. Keith Hernandez has been working with Daniel Murphy and Nick Evans on defense and footwork at first base. I'm glad someone who doesn't write this blog finally came up with the idea of asking Keith to help out.

In an interview for SNY, Murphy said that it was an honor to work with Keith (as a completely random side note, the first time I heard Murphy speak, I was shocked. He does not look like his voice should be that deep). I'm hoping that their sessions were productive and that Murphy came away from them with a better understanding of what exactly he's supposed to be doing over there. Mex is a great resource for Murphy and Evans and hopefully they will continue to pick his brain on first base related issues.

Of course, I'd be a lot more optimistic if Keith had given me some hope during his appearance on Daily News Live. He was completely non-committal when asked about Murhpy's future as a first baseman, which I suppose is fine... I mean, we don't want to kill the kid's confidence before spring training even starts (note to Jerry - keep your mouth shut). I personally believe that Murphy will be fine now that he's had time to work on the position and will have some protection in the line up. He's a solid player and I'd like for him to show us why he should be a starter and not just considered a back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment