Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Baywatch FINALLY ends

As long as Jason Bay passes a physical, he will be patrolling left field for the Mets for the next 4 seasons. This part always makes me nervous - I know that signings are almost never called off due to injuries (with Yorvit Torrealba and the recently dead Mike Lowell to the Rangers deal as exceptions) but it still nags at the back of my mind.

Anyway - I'm happy with this signing because, if nothing else, it means we've done something. Jason Bay is an upgrade offensively, which seems to be the only thing the Mets are concerned with. And I still have enough faith in Carlos Beltran that Bay's defense does not depress me. However, I do not think that Jason Bay is the solution or that he will be the baseball savior in Queens. Also, this signing coincides quite nicely with the season ticket renewal deadline. Who said the Mets didn't know how to run an organization?

I really, really hope that, despite appearances to the contrary, Omar Minaya can actually multitask. Since it seems like we've wasted weeks waiting for Bay to make up his mind when he only had one offer to choose from, I want to believe that Omar has something up his sleeve. One of my friends suggested that we were stockpiling catchers to make a trade for Matt Cain in San Francisco. While that would be amazing... I refuse to get attached to that idea, because that's generally not how the Mets do things. I've mentioned Bronson Arroyo and Ben Sheets recently and I still think that they would both be good additions - although first Sheets would have to realize that not pitching AT ALL for a year does not earn you a $12 million signing. There is not one person in major league baseball outside of Mets management who considers our rotation to be legitamite. Every starter we have is either Mike Pelfrey or coming back from a season ending injury... and that doesn't inspire much confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment