Friday, December 18, 2009

There's something in the water...

Let me just start by saying I understand chasing money to a certain extent. I also recognize that in order to be successful, players have to believe they are worth a lot. But what the hell is wrong with the free agents and market in general this off season?

The Mets have already upped their original one-year contract deal to Benjie Molina to two years - which should be the absolute most he gets. However, there have been reports that Molina is looking for a third year. Let's break this down: a 35 year-old catcher (who can't run, by the way) wants a 3 year contract. Omar, shake his hand and say, "Thanks for stopping by."

Then there is Jason Bay. I was fine with the Mets offering Bay a fifth year because I'm getting a little desperate... but apparently now he wants six. SIX. Jason, I have some news for you - you're a solid outfielder and I've heard good things about your clubhouse presence, but you should not be getting six years. On Wednesday, Jon Heyman reported that the Mets were looking to wrap up the Bay situation within 48 hours. I guess technically those 48 hours aren't up yet... but I'm starting to get that feeling of dread.

And let's not forget where this all started: Randy Wolf and the Brewers agreeing to a ridiculous contract for a second tier pitcher. Thanks for skewing the market, boys. Now guys like Jason Marquis and Joel Pineiro - in other words, average pitchers coming off of career years - are demanding way too much money and too many years on their contracts. The one thing I am thankful for is that the Mets appear to be staying out of what I have decided to call the Oliver Perez Trap with these guys.

Here are some new names to consider: Bronson Arroyo and Ben Sheets. Sheets should only be in discussion if Arroyo or someone similar is also brought in because he is a high risk/high reward pitcher. I can only continue to hope that, despite all evidence to the contrary, Omar has a plan and knows what he is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment