Thursday, December 10, 2009

Trying to keep the faith

I'm trying to be optimistic this off season. I really am. It might be working too, except for the fact that part of my daily routine includes skimming espn.com and the Mets' website for any kind of updates on trades or signings. And lately, I've been getting the feeling that the Mets are preparing us for a letdown. The tone I'm getting from these articles is that there is a helplessness about the Mets now, and that doesn't inspire much confidence. I keep reminding myself that Omar pulled off the Johan Santana deal when everyone said it was impossible. He also managed to bring us Carlos Beltran, who is one of the top center fielders in baseball today. I want to have faith in Omar and the Mets, so I'm trying.

However, the moves that we've made so far have left much to be desired. I'm glad we signed Alex Cora - I think he earned it. He is a good veteran who can back up multiple positions and was unfortunately forced into a role he couldn't handle in 2009 (not to mention while playing through an injury). But I really don't understand why we need Chris Coste, Henry Blanco, Omir Santos, and Benjie Molina on the roster (to be fair, the Molina thing hasn't actually happened yet). I just want to be inspired by something this off season - and I want to stop feeling like we're being left in the dust.

I'm begging you, Omar - please find me a gamer for left field and a starting pitcher who can eat innings. Big free agent signings are fun and make a splash, but I don't even think Matt Holliday is necessary. I was originally pulling for Carl Crawford, but I never really believed that had any potential. I was intrigued by Curtis Granderson... we know how that worked out. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Mike Cameron back in a Mets uniform, but I don't think he'll settle for a corner outfield position. I'm also really hoping that since the Brewers and Randy Wolf set a ridiculous bar for the second tier free agent pitchers, the Mets will go after Lackey hard. Lackey would make me very happy and would fill the void of #2 starter/bullpen savior.

Until then, I'm trying to ignore what I hope are ludicrous rumors. If the Mets somehow end up with Pat Burrell on their roster, I'm not entirely sure what I would do (and don't think I should be held responsible for any actions that may or may not take place following said acquisition). Make something good happen for us, and restore the faith in Flushing.

No comments:

Post a Comment