Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Back to reality?

I kind of feel like baseball season actually starts today. I think it was Joe Beningo who said on Daily News Live that managers treat Opening Day like it's game 7 of the World Series. I agree with that... I mean, really, were we expecting Jerry Manuel to experiment in the later innings of Monday's game and potentially put not only an Opening Day win but a Santana win in jeopardy? So in that way, Opening Day is kind of a fake-out.

Tonight though - that's a whole different story. With John Maine on the mound, the bullpen might get a lot of use because Maine could easily be knocked out after three innings. I really want Maine to step up tonight. There has been so much negativity surrounding the starting rotation (from myself included) that it would really help our Mets fan psyches if Maine put together a solid outing. At 29, I consider him past the point in his career where "dead arm" phases and injuries just occur constantly and can be used as excuses. It's time for Maine to show us what he's really made of - and hopefully, that means 6 innings and leaving with a chance for the team to win the game.

In other news, Jose Reyes played a full nine innings in extended spring training. I want to read into this so much and proclaim that he is absolutely ready to rejoin the team this weekend... but I can't. Extended spring training is not major league talent by any means. So for now, I'm going to content myself with being REALLY happy that his legs are still attached to his body and his thyroid levels are normal. Come back soon, Jose.. we miss you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment