Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Funny how things change...

I know that in this day and age of constant media coverage and outlets for fans to spew venom/sing praises, things change quickly. But it seems like there are some positives surrounding the Mets for the first time this season.

Over the past 5 days, the pitching - both starting and relief - has been phenomenal. Well, with the exception of John Maine anyway. The Mets came away with a hard fought, 20-inning win in St. Louis (sure, they went on to lose the series, but hey a win's a win). Mike Pelfrey showed me he has the potential to be a serious big timer when he told Jerry "I can do this. I want the ball" and picked up a save in that ridiculous game. Pelfrey is 2-0, with 1 save and a 1.29 ERA. I'm curious to see if/how his relief appearance affects his performance tonight... but for the first time in about 1.5 years, I have some faith in Big Pelf.

Ike Davis gave the anemic offense a much needed boost last night, going 2-4 with an RBI in his major league debut. I'm praying Davis is the real deal - partly because we're in desperate need of a true first basemen, but mostly because I just want to see the Mets launch an "I Like Ike" campaign complete with pins and t-shirts.

Jason Bay showed signs of breaking out of his slump which is great to see. Hopefully Bay's production will increase and take some pressure off of David Wright, who seems to be struggling at the plate again. I feel like his swing has changed... I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but David used to be his own version of a hitting tutorial video, and I'm not seeing that same muscle memory-type swing with him anymore. Fans seem to be getting frustrated with him, which I don't think is fair because Wright has been one of the most consistently good players in our line up. His defense has never been perfect and throws to first are an adventure sometimes... but I think this makes Davis's impact even more important because good defensive first basemen make the other infielders better.

All in all, I'm happy we're showing signs of life. Even though pitching was the big question mark going into this season, it's turned out that the offense has been the bigger problem. It's tough when the guys you pay to be your big bats are slumping simultaneously. And Jose Reyes looks like he's half a step behind everything that's happening on the field. I think these things will work themselves out, but really only time will tell. Another win tonight would certainly go a long way in lifting spirits - particularly those of the fan base. Let's Go Mets!

No comments:

Post a Comment